Apr 23 2008
Fish Hoek, with it’s very safe beach which is popular during the summer season, was a farm belonging to the De Villiers family during the 1800’s. This family later on allowed Fish Hoek to be cut up into plots to build houses, but with one proviso: “There will be no Drinking House.” i.e. bar or…
Apr 13 2008
Lighthouse Fisheries, the brainchild of a Mr. Louw, was one of the first fishery in South Africa to export live crayfish (rock lobster) to international markets, packed in containers, by air to Europe. The fisheries buildings at Witsand, on the road from Kommetjie to Cape Point between the lighthouse and Camel Rock, consisted of tanks…
Apr 12 2008
Opposite the Plumstead Methodist Church was Yudelman’s Store (circa 1905) one of the areas oldest two businesses (The other being Osman’s). This store stocked everything one could imagine – materials, groceries, animal feed, …. Everything was there. Today Yudelman’s Store has become The Village Square,
Mar 09 2008
The modern Valyland shoping centre was developed by a Mr. Cronwright on land that in the early 1950’s was a kraal for dairy cows and horses.
Feb 06 2008
During the war years the Post Office operated this early warning radio station by Morse Code. The primary use of the station was to receive SOS signals from merchant ships that were torpedoed by German U-boats off the Cape coast.
Feb 05 2008
This was a vegetable farm of great importance in the early 60’s. The farm consisted of dry land (that was irrigated) and vlei land that was water logged in the winter months. The Vlei land was used to hunt wild ducks in winter.
Feb 01 2008
The road through Silvermine was the route during the 1700’s that the wagons, drawn by oxen, took to Simonstown from Cape Town. Halfway down the valley on the Kalkbay side of the mountain, known as Bokkop, was the Block House – a halfway stop next to the Sivermine River, where the tired oxen and drivers…