Oct 14 2013
Pinelands Garden City
Posted in Neighbourhoods in Focus
On Saturday 11th February 1922 the first Pinelands resident, Garth Cox, moved into 3 Meadway. This event was celebrated by a full page article in the Cape Argus.
Pinelands was the first Garden City in South Africa and the third Garden City in the world. During 1948 it became a full-fledged municipality.
Originally to be called Midwood, Pinelands is part of the original farm “Uitvlugt” which extended for several thousand acres across the then sandy and still desolate Cape Flats; on which the old Cape Colonial Government had laid out an economically unsuccessful forestry estate.
The original cost of plots was £6 19s. per 1,000 square feet, with the first plots selling for as little as £20 each. It was possible to obtain a house at Pinelands for a down payment of £40 or £50. Between August 1945, and the end of December 1947, homes sold at an average cost (including that of the land and legal expenses) of £2,500 each. Both single and double storied homes were produced and no two houses are exactly alike.
Read more of Pinelands history and origins >>HERE